Last Friday, my client asked me to come to their office because they were meeting with an advertising sales rep from Dex Media.
Companies like Dex Media are your main competitors, NOT creative digital agencies!
My client wanted me there because they don’t understand the pros/cons of Dex’s sales pitch, especially when it comes to online advertising.
Here’s what their package included:
- 1/2 page print advertisement in the Yellow Pages
- Online listing management (powered by Yext)
- Phone tracking # to see how many calls they get
They operate under a yearly contract. I told my client I could do 90% of what Dex offers without the commitment.
TOTAL COST: $475 / month ($5,700 / year)
Sadly, the business owner moved forward with Dex because he still believes in print advertising.
However, not all was lost. I discussed with them ideas for the website along with Facebook ads and email marketing. There is a great chance I’m still going to get an increase on my monthly payment, too.
Plus, now I’m motivated to prove my work is better than theirs. Dex Media outsources everything. They provide ZERO creativity.
- You need to get past your fears. Dex is nothing special and they make a ton of money. It’s time to get yours!
- You gotta be patient and play the long game. Not every decision goes your way. Persistence wins. Action wins. Ideas win.
- You need to be more than web design. A website is a hub, but getting eyeballs to the website is what takes you to the next level
- You don’t need technical expertise to sell. Dex’s sales rep was not web savvy.
Enrollment is now open to join our membership community which will put you on the fast track to freelancing success.
LEARN MORE:Web Design Business Plan Membership